Friday, April 18, 2014

Calligraphy Venture

I'm always looking for ways to expand my skill set, along with keeping my creativity fresh and fun. My newest venture is learning modern calligraphy. I'd love to include calligraphy in my wedding designs.

To start this goal I signed up for Molly Jacques online modern calligraphy course. It is through SkillShare. They have very reasonable pricing (compared to live workshops). You can pay a monthly membership of $9.95 or purchase unlimited access for $20.00 per class. So the membership option would be great if you planned on taking a bunch of different classes.


I specifically signed up for this class because Molly gives a nice list of tools to start with. Plus I like her style. She does a good job explaining the tools and then jumps right into writing the alphabet. The reviews for this class complain that the videos are too short and they can wiz right through them. I personally think the short videos are nice because you can watch a video and then spend time practicing. Which from what I gather calligraphy takes lots and lots of practice. 

Along with this class I bought this book. It does an awesome job going over all the different tools. It also has pages of templates of the alphabet with multiple ways to write each letter. Very helpful.

I want to give a shout out to all you lefties out there (me included). I was worried I wouldn't be able to do this simply because I am left handed. Ha! Plus I have bad handwriting and tend to smudge. So far I am proving myself wrong wrong wrong. Calligraphy is way different than writing. It's not about simply writing, it's about constructing shapes.  

2 comments:

  1. So lovely!! This looks fabulous!!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am having a lot of fun with it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...